Tuesday, November 6, 2012

First of all, I am really glad that Amber, Derek, and the kids (and also Elder Rick Smith :)) didn't die in the hurricane. I think Brazilians like to exaggerate (how in the world is that spelled?) a little bit. I know that the hurricane was awful for sure, but all the Brazilians I talked to made it seem like my whole country was washed away.....like I wouldn't have a United States to go home to. Someone told me that the ENTIRE COUNTRY was without electricity. I played along a little bit, but was laughing on the inside. I was anxiously waiting to use the internet to see how Amber was doing....to see if the hurricane had affected her.
The whole world also wants to talk politics with me write now. If you were back home, who would you vote for? Do you like Obama or would you vote for "Meech Homney" (as they call him hahaha). Yeah.....I keep my mouth shut and tell them that I have no idea what is going on at home.......which is totally true!!!

Haha so the area I am serving in, Fernandes, is super small. This has its advantages and disadvantages. Haha I don't know if this is an advantage or a disadvantage, but we are pretty much famous here. Seeing as the area is small, we walk the same roads over and over and over. Everyone has seen us around. We are known as the two Americans that wear skirts all the time. It has become quite hilarious because Sister Matiaco and I will be walking down the street and we often hear punk teenagers messing with us by yelling, "What's your namey?" "I lovey you!" "Let's go!" (aka the only things they know how to say in English). Sister Matiaco and I just laugh our heads off. 

Sometimes on the mission, you feel like you aren't doing anything. You are not making much of a difference at all. That you are incapable. I feel like that sometimes. However, this Sunday we went to lunch at a member's home. The mom and her 8 year old daughter are active, but the father (who was once a bishop) and three more of her kids are inactive and heading down a rough path. I didn't feel like I did anything special, but as we were leaving and the mom was walking us to the gate, she thanked us through her tears for bringing the spirit into her house. She told us that because of the bad things her family often involves themselves in, the spirit doesn't abide much in her home. She thanked us, thanked us, and thanked us some more for eating there and for being a source of the Lord's Holy Spirit. It really strengthened my testimony that we don't have to do AMAZING things or say ELOQUENT words to be qualified to be a missionary or an example as a member of the church, we just have to be worthy and living in such a way that the spirit can shine through us. I was very grateful for that experience. 

Halloween. So lame. We went to the grocery store and bought candy and junk food. I dressed up as Brazilian Sister Missionary and tried my best to talk without accent! Whooohooo!!!! 

I love you all! Thanks for all of the support! Hang in there Lisa.....your call will come in the Lord's time! Wyoming or Temple Square is my palpite! 

Sister Autumn Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment